As I celebrated Grandmother's life with my extended family at her funeral in Orlando this week, I wondered how I will help Ella understand what a wonderful grandmother she was. One particular anectdote stands out and, to me, represents what an amazing woman Peggy Helms Rybolt was.
As part of her extensive hospital volunteer work, Grandmother knit over 200 baby blankets for newborns. I was always impressed by my her knitting, but now that I am a mother I really appreciate the warmth and comfort that a new blanket can provide. A tiny part of Grandmother's legacy is the joy that her blankets have provided for so many families at such a special time in their lives.
In addition to generously donating blankets to others, Grandmother knit countless blankets for her 4 children, 11 grandchildren, and 3 great grandchildren.
Here's Ella snuggilng with the blanket that Grandmother made for me when I was little.
3 comments:
Thanks for sharing your memories. Nicely done. love, Aunt A
WE are so very sorry for your loss! Grandmothers are the most wonderful people in the world. And what a sweet person your grandmother was! Lots of hugs and love, I am sure that she will visit Ella often from 'above'.
Andrada and Family
I always thought it was so neat how she made each cousin's blanket unique.. no two were the same. :) -courtney
Post a Comment