Step 1 was to do a blind taste-test of 6 different chocolate chips. Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. So, Ella, Rob, and I tested lots of chocolate chips and our top two are Hershey's Chocolate Chips and Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chips. We had a slight preference for the Hershey's.
Here's a video of Ella and her chocolate chips. She didn't care which brand was which, she only cared about getting, "lots and lots" of chips. (lots and lots is her new favorite phrase. She wants lots and lots of everything.)
Step 2 was testing the traditional recipe up against the updated version. Of course, this is not as easy as it sounds. To ensure that we tried both recipes with both chips Rob set us up a Fractional Factorial Design Cookie experiment. Basically, that means we cooked the two batches of dough and divided them in half. Two of those batches got Hershey Chips and two got Nestle Chips.
Here's a video of Ella mixing up the dough.
We marked the cookie sheets to separate the four batches: Traditional Recipe & Toll House Chips; Traditional Recipe & Hershey Chips; Updated Recipe & Toll House Chips; Updated Recipe & Hershey Chips.
(yes, we take cookies very seriously at our house; did I mention it rained all morning and we needed something to keep ourselves entertained)
The Results:
We both strongly preferred the updated recipe because of its rich, toffee like flavor but we couldn't tell the difference between the chips in the baked cookies.
3 comments:
I love this! I am glad to see you do wholesome taste testing. You see at Easter the Caruso clan decided to do a Beer taste testing. This was a converstation held, it still makes me laugh when I think of it:
Sara Caruso: Sorry I have to miss out on the FUN, I have to go to bed.
John Caruso: Sara, this is not FUN, this is a serious experiment.
OMG guys this is hilarious!! Thank you for the great laugh! You two are a pair matched in 'Cookie Haven' - Rob the 'cookie experiment designer' and Lisa the 'perfect chef'...Then, of course, there is little Ella helping on both sides! Perfect!
Andrada
when is the next taste-test? (i'd like an invitation!!) lol!
Post a Comment